UNITE HERE Local 1 researchers conduct industry, corporate, real estate and political research and analysis to develop and carry out campaigns focused on winning economic justice for hospitality workers. Our campaigns organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for our 15,000 union members in the Chicago area’s food service, gaming and casino, and hotel industries.
Job responsibilities will include:
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
- Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate development projects
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies, the public)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
- Communicate and build relationships with a wide variety of players including community organizations, company officials, customers, government staff and elected leaders
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, regional staff and elected leaders; assist in moving campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, doing political work, as needed.
Desired qualifications include:
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers’ rights
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience (labor, political, urban planning, or community/campus)
- Strong analytical, writing, computer and interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel, and to work long and sometimes irregular hours
- Familiarity with database and word processing software
- Ability to effectively manage a workload with competing priorities and deadlines
- Reliable car and driver’s license
Current UNITE HERE Campaign Researchers have worked in the past as community and union organizers, urban planners, journalists, teachers, and researchers elsewhere.
How To Apply
Applicants should email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Positions include excellent health and retirement benefits.
UNITE HERE Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.