Join our dedicated organizing team to build a movement of workers in the Chicago area! We are seeking an Organizer for UNITE HERE Local 1 in Chicago who will identify, recruit, develop and train worker leaders, build active worker organizing committees, and work with local union teams to win representation and contract fights. Our union is a leader in battles for workers’ rights, immigration reform, living wages, and quality jobs in Chicago, and many cities throughout North America.
- Identify and develop worker-leaders through one-on-one communication
- Build and maintain worker committees
- Organize and lead worker committee meetings
- Help to organize and run large actions such as picket lines and civil disobedience
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for worker organizing such as maintaining database, producing materials and correspondence
- One year organizing experience
- Valid driver’s license and own car
- Dedication to social and economic justice, and specifically to building a strong labor movement
- Organizing experience, particularly in building unity within a diverse group, and inspiring others to take action
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment within the context of an overall plan and structure
- Excellent communication skills in one-on-one and group settings
- Willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and to work long and irregular work hours
- Spanish and English fluency
Please send résumé and cover letter to: [email protected].
Women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNITE HERE Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.