UNITE HERE Local 1 Campaign Researchers organize non-union workers and secure improved standards for our 16,000 union members in the Chicago area’s food service, casino, and hotel industries.
UNITE HERE Local 1 has lifted standards for hospitality workers across Chicago. Unionized hotel room attendants fought to raise their wages from $8.83 per hour in 2001 to $23.73 per hour today. We’ve organized almost every food service worker at O’Hare and Midway airports. And thousands of UNITE HERE Local 1 members have secured free healthcare through UNITE HERE Health.
We’ve done this by identifying and challenging worker leaders to organize their coworkers to collectively confront their employers, often at great personal risk.
Campaign researchers are expected to work long and irregular hours to support these organizing efforts.
Job responsibilities will include:
Research & Campaigning (50%)
- Research companies using a wide variety of sources, including published databases, on-line and Internet sources
- Conduct local and field research on companies, industries and/or real estate development projects
- Develop company analyses and adapt them for various audiences (e.g. leadership & staff, workers, stockholders, political & regulatory bodies)
- Identify and analyze new development projects in our industries and represent the union during the planning & political approval process
- Develop and carry out campaign strategies and tactics
- Work with UNITE HERE members, organizers, community allies and elected leaders to move campaigns forward through organizing, leading actions, and doing political work as needed.
- Train worker spokespeople for press interviews and public speeches.
- Produce press releases, social media posts, videos, and other multimedia products for public distribution.
- Represent the Union as a press spokesperson as needed by the campaign.
- Photograph and record videos of workers and supporters for use in campaign materials.
Worker Organizing (25%)
- Organize and run picket lines, rallies, and other union actions.
- Meet with workers at their workplaces and homes to conduct interviews, record statements, and gather documentation about workplace issues.
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for worker organizing such as maintaining databases, producing materials, and correspondence.
Required qualifications include:
- At least 2 years of professional union or other campaign experience.
- Passion for, and commitment to, fighting for workers’ rights
- BA degree or relevant research and/or activist experience
- Exceptional writing skills for a variety of audiences
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Strong interpersonal/organizing skills
- Willingness to travel and to work long and irregular hours
- Reliable car and driver’s license
- Spanish and/or Chinese language skills highly desired
Applicants should email a résumé to: [email protected].
Salary for this position is $58,000, and includes excellent health and retirement benefits.
Women, BIPOC, and LGBTQ+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNITE HERE Local 1 is an equal opportunity employer and gives equal consideration to all applicants without regard to sex, age, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.