General Financial Assistance

United Way and Catholic Charities have grocery gift cards for Lake County hospitality workers, as well as other financial assistance available for Lake and LaPorte County residents. To apply for assistance with rent/mortgage payments, utilities, gift cards for fuel, medicine or groceries, contact Catholic Charities at 219-886-3549 or send an email to [email protected]. Or click HERE for more information at the Catholic Charities website.

Health Care

Need affordable access to healthcare now?

Healthlinc – East Chicago is a Federally Qualified Health Center that offers free primary care regardless of insurance coverage, and has been recommended by Local 1 members. Heathlinc East Chicago also offers pharmacy, dentistry, mental and behavioral health treatment, pediatrics, and has a licensed social worker and family nurse practitioner. Make an appointment by calling (219) 398-9695.

To find a different FQHC closer to you, click HERE for a list.

Check out our new Healthy Local 1 page HERE to answer your questions about which healthcare options may be best for you.

Sign up for the FamilyWize prescription discount card HERE.

Food Assistance

Looking for food banks in northwest Indiana? United Way’s Resource Round Up For Northwest Indiana Families has a site to help find food pantries and other food resources in northwest Indiana.

You can also contact the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana at (219) 980-1777 or go to their website HERE to find food pantries and mobile markets near you.


Local 1’s Troubleshooting Guide for Indiana Unemployment is HERE.

The Lake Area United Way’s Level Up Program offers training opportunities in manufacturing, healthcare and welding. Contact Talisa Hall at [email protected] or apply online HERE.

Utility Assistance

The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) can help you pay heat and electric bills. Fill out Northwest Indiana Community Action’s EAP application HERE.
More information about the program is available HERE.

NIPSCO offers no-cost weatherization appointments that could lower your energy bills. More information is available HERE.


Rental Assistance: The Indiana Housing and Community Development Authority is accepting applications for rental assistance. More information and the application is available HERE.

Mortgage Assistance: Indiana’s Hardest Hit Fund may be able to help you with mortgage payments. Click HERE for more information.

Child Care

Search for Child Care services near you at United Way’s Resource Roundup website – click HERE.

Other Resources

Diapers: Search on the Indiana 2-1-1 website for organizations that distribute diapers in your zip code.

Northwest Indiana Federation of Labor: